Friday, February 21, 2014

Lists: Resource Throttling


I recently came across an issue where I had an Infopath form that needed access to a list that had over 10,000 items (Don't worry the form used a web service to filter the number of items returned).  When I opened the form, I received a message complaining  I was trying to query a list with more items than my list threshold, even though I was technically only returning only about 100 items.

There were a couple options.

Option 1: Increase the Resource Throttling through Central Administration.
  1. Go to Central Administration > Application Management > Manage Web Applications
  2. Select your site in the list, and in the ribbon click the drop down arrow for General Settings and select Resource Throttling.
  3. Adjust List View Threshold.
Option 2: User Power shell to increase Resource Throttling for just the list.

$Site = Get-SPWeb http://siteurl
$List = $Site.List["List Name"]
$List.EnableThrottling = $false
$List.Update()

I didn't need to increase the throttling amount for all of my environment, so I opted for Option 2 as most of our list and libraries have well below 10,000 items.  In most cases, I would recommend Option 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment